Friday, October 06, 2006

heft


heft

/hɛft/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[heft] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. weight; heaviness: It was a rather flimsy chair, without much heft to it.
2. significance or importance.
3. Archaic. the bulk or main part.
–verb (used with object)
4. to test the weight of by lifting and balancing: He hefted the spear for a few moments, and then flung it at the foe.
5. to heave; hoist.

"He hefted the spear for a few moments, and then flung it at the foe." I can't decide whether that phrase inspires me or scares me shitless.

For an auditory definition of heft, click here and follow these directions: The slash before the letters dbt in this url will turn into a period. Change the period back to a slash and hit return. I have no idea why this happens or how I figured it out, just trust me. Ok, go; it's worth it.
http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2006-08-11.m1290.flac16

Cheers

1 Comments:

Blogger Rookery said...

The same author in the same bestseller also said:

There is nothing new under the sun

which is, I suppose, intended to be a comment on humility.

Most days, I think its plenty humbling to think about how much of the old stuff under the sun is new to me.

10/07/2006 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home