Friday, February 22, 2008

extremes


July 7th in Louisiana is hot. I mean hot, like otherworldly hot. This outdoor shower was my savior. Granted there were 30 or 40 other people vying for position to get in there, but when my number was up I savored every steamy drop. I eventually got savvy about things; lathering up under the 1 am moon or the 6 am sun. It was sort of my oasis in that foreign land.
I thought about this picture the other night as I soaked in the lunar eclipse. We were trying to build a fire and drink beer in the below zero air, unsuccessfully to say the least. Beer freezes and fire is out-manned when it's 10 below. But we were out there, wind chill be damned, trying to make it work.
I'm pretty sure on one of those July days while getting sunburned in this shower I fondly dreamed about sub-zero Minnesota winds freezing my eyelids shut. It's oddly comforting to know both of those options exist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home